FTA administers a national transit safety program and program compliance oversight process to advance safe, reliable, and equitable transit service throughout the U.S. FTA’s Office of Transit Safety & Oversight (TSO) helps make transit safer through policy development, hazard investigation, data collection, risk analysis, oversight programs and information sharing.
- Information about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- On February 21, 2020, FTA published a letter to State DOT Secretaries and transit agencies to remind them of their obligation under the Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan (PTASP) regulation (49 CFR Part 673)
- In February 2020, FTA Acting Administrator K. Jane Williams sent a letter to transit agency leaders to build awareness in the fight against human trafficking and increase support of the “100 Pledges in 100 Days” campaign.
- The February-March 2020 Issue of the Transit Safety and Oversight Spotlight newsletter is now available.
- FTA has launched the Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan (PTASP) Technical Assistance Center (TAC) to support transit agencies and states in meeting PTASP requirements by the July 20, 2020 compliance deadline. The goal of the TAC is to provide technical assistance on the development and implementation of Agency Safety Plans (ASP).
- Learn more about our Organization Structure
- Learn more about our Office Leadership
- Learn more about our Program Offices:
- Learn more about FTA's WMATA Safety Oversight
- Learn more about TSO through the TSO Spotlight Newsletter