REGION 8 BULLETIN NO: 2015-26
Subject: NTI Public Involvement in Transportation Decisionmaking
Date: December 11, 2015
The National Transit Institute (NTI) will offer its course, Public Involvement in Transportation Decisionmaking, February 2-4, 2016 in the Golden Spike Board Room at the Utah Transit Authority, 669 West 200 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84101. This offering is free for FTA grantees. Completion of the course confers 2.0 CEUs.
Public Involvement is much more than posting notices and holding public hearings. Public participation involves creative thinking, with willingness and ability to interact openly to the public's preferred forms of communication. It is about being sensitive to disparate needs and conflicting priorities. It is about giving the public an opportunity to influence transportation decisionmaking. This course walks the talk by employing public involvement techniques as the means of conveying the key learning outcomes. It is a joint effort among FTA, NTI, FHWA, and NHI. This course does not focus on the NEPA process, but on more general strategies and tools of engaging the public.
Objectives of the Course:
- Identify public involvement challenges
- Describe U.S. DOT transportation decision-making processes, including those that trigger the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
- Describe the relationship between public involvement and decisionmaking
- Develop a public involvement plan with stakeholder assistance that includes attention to non-traditional populations as an evaluation component
- Describe interest-based problem solving and their underlying values
- Identify ways to enhance public involvement plans
Transit operators, metropolitan planning organization personnel, federal, state, local transportation agency staff, consultants, and others who are responsible for planning, implementing, or participating in any phase of the public involvement process.
For more information and to register for the course, please go to www.ntionline.com.
David L. Beckhouse
Deputy Regional Administrator